Wednesday 3 September 2014

Challenge Day 3: One "observation" are I'd like to improve on for evaluation is.......

When I pondered this the first thing that sprang to mind is "improving the art of questioning". I need to be conscious of the kinds of questions I'm asking and when I'm asking them. The digging deeper questions or the shallower and wider questions. The open  "what if......." questions and the "I'm not so sure that......what about.........?" when exploring ideas. Add to that the 5 "what if's......?" to dig deeper.

The other side of this is encouraging students to ask multiple questions, deeper questions and emotionally loaded questions such as "tell me about your favourite outfit when you were growing up?" to help deepen their thinking and understanding. part of this will require me to be modelling expected behaviours but also it rewarding the questions students ask. To help me do this I need to read more (The Falconer was a great start), observe teachers that practice this in class (any offers locally?) and be mindful of my practice in each class and practice, practice, practice.......

No comments:

Post a Comment